‘You make all the difference!’ Symposium on 1 November 2012
You study at Leiden University, a diverse and cosmopolitan university. On 1 November, this particular characteristic of the University will be highlighted in the course of a symposium.
With workshops and many interesting speakers we will give you a new and multi-disciplinary perspective on the theme of diversity. And: PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITIONS!
What is cultural diversity, what does ‘freedom’ mean, and how are we, as a community, open? How is diversity connected to such topics as journalism, science, the business world or art? How does the top executive of a large corporation feel about diversity, as opposed to stand-up comedian Anuar? What do tasty treats from different corners of the world taste like? And how do you make all the difference? Find out about all of this and more: Come to the symposium!
13:30 - 14:00 Start & Introduction by LUC choir
14:00 - 14:15 Opening by chairpersons Parisa en Limo
14:00 - 14:30 Introduction by Vice Rector Magnificus Simone Buitendijk
14:30 - 15:15 Keynote speaker Petra Stienen, author, arabist and former Human Rights diplomat
(introducing the theme, her own opinion, Q&A)
15:15 - 15:30 BREAK
15:30 - 16:30 Workshop overview
16:30 - 17:00 BREAK
17:00 - 18:30 Workshops end with forum, Van Bergen Award/Column, Conclusion by chairpersons
18:30 - 20:00 Cultural Tastes, tasting of dishes from different cultures
19.00 - 19.30 Stand-up comedian Anuar
The forum is interactive; the forum members consist of the various speakers of the workshops. Participants are given the opportunity to react in person or through twitter (there will be a screen). From the morning, you will be able to send your twitter questions to the forum, and your questions can be used as statements in the forum.
The symposium is freely accessible. Please registrate for:
- the afternoon programme, including Cultural Tastes, or
- Cultural Tastes only
Use our online form to registrate!
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Pieter de la Court Building, Wassenaarseweg 52, Leiden
- Christian van der Woude, Assessor Faculty Board Campus Den Haag
- Gina Serbanuscu, Honours College Law student as well as chairwoman of the Leiden Honours Community
- Jake van Baarsel, Treasurer of Study Association Fortuna (Leiden University College)
- Limo Baroud, Chairman of Study Association Fortuna (Leiden University College)
- Parisa Elah-Madadzadeh, student assistant on the diversity project
- Roukayya Oueslati, student assistant on the diversity project